Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Reading Strategies Book-Goal 1: Supporting Pre-Emergent and Emergent Readers


I am so excited to link with Literacy Loving Gals and #ReadingStrategiesCrew to discuss Jennifer Serravallo's new book called The Reading Strategies Book-Your Everything Guide for Developing Skilled Readers.   Check out my post from July 23....I gave an overview of the book.   


For the next month, the #ReadingStrategiesCrew will be discussing each goal every Monday and Wednesday.  Yesterday was the first day of the book study and I am so excited.  This book is a little overwhelming because it includes 300 reading strategies....yep-I said 300!!  Once I received the book in the mail, I sat down and read through the beginning pages of each goal.  So, I thought I would link up today to discuss what I read about goal #1.  Goal #1: Supporting Pre-Emergent and Emergent Readers.

I LOVE the way Jennifer Serravallo has set up the beginning of each goal.  She introduces the goal by telling why the goal is important and how to know if the goal is right for a student. Goal 1 is perfect for any child who is just beginning to read text independently, though not yet conventionally.  Also, this goal is for readers who are beginning to read conventionally, yet have interest that go beyond the simple patterned texts that beginning readers tend to read.

After attending a workshop today and listening to Tanny McGregor discuss metacognition, I thought I would share with you one of the strategies from Goal #1 called Readers Explain Their Thinking.  This strategy is best taught in conversation with a reader during a conference or partners.  When you see your reader possibly jumping from one idea to another, simply prompt the reader(s) to stop and think.  I would first model to the reader(s) by reading a page, having an idea about what I read, and ask myself, "What makes me think that?"  Other prompts that can scaffold the reader during the practice with this strategy or when offering feedback is: 


One more thing....check out the other things that are on every single strategy page....(did I mention there are 300 strategies in this book!!!!!)




2 comments:

  1. I love your post, Sarah! Thanks so much for linking up to share your insight into Goal 1 and the book overall. By the way, I love your thought bubble graphic. You're too creative! ;)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too!! It is so visually appealing and helpful. I now have this book because I just could not resist!! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the little push!
    em

    ReplyDelete