Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

The summer is here! Yay!

Unfortunately, today does not feel like summer.  Today is rainy, cloudy, and gloomy.  Rainy days usually don't affect me when I am in teacher-mode (unless I am in charge of indoor recess).  But right now, I am in mommy-mode.  I have a six-year old daughter (Lucy), three year old son (Tommy), and a one year old boy that I am babysitting.  PLUS...it's raining.  Yuck!  My plan to go on a walk has been destroyed. My idea of playing outside is not going to happen now.  The last thing I want to do is drive three kids around in the rain to run errands. So.....? 

Luckily, I can easily and quickly switch from mommy-mode back to teacher-mode in a blink of an eye.  While trying to entertain a one year old with trucks and balls, I worked on sight words with Lucy and letter identification with Tommy.  Next, Lucy graphed her sight words based on occurrence while Tommy practiced writing his name.  As the morning slowly moved along, we played Go Fish, Candy Land, put together a Monster High puzzle, and watched one episode of Odd Squad on PBS.   

As the kids finished up their lunches and I finally cleaned up all the food off of the floor from my one year old friend, it was time for a nap.  I don't know about you, but nap time can sometimes be my favorite part of the day-especially on rainy days.  So, after changing diapers and making sure everyone had their favorite nap time toy, I closed all three doors and walked slowly downstairs to peace and quiet.  I had three options.  I could: 1.) clean up the hundreds of toys that covered my living room carpet; 2.) load the dishwasher with all the lunch dishes; or 3.) cuddle up on the couch with a book I have been reading (The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty).  Needless to say, I finished my book by the time the kids woke up from their naps!

Overall, this rainy day wasn't so bad after all.  What do you like to do on rainy day?

2 comments:

  1. Love the mom-mode to teacher-mode comment. Sometimes I think I forget to pull out those teacher "tricks"! Rainy days are the perfect opportunity!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started that book yesterday!! I'm hooked- time to go read!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete